Course developed and implemented in November 2016 by Kenda Neilsen Myles at The Mindfulness Center in Bethesda, MD. This course focuses on the foundational series of 4 mindfulness & movement-based workshops, including smaller group support meetings. Content from each workshop builds from the next and includes a mind-body-focused movement “class.”
Example of Topics Covered (not complete list of topics):
- “What is Mindfulness and How Will it Help me?” – Definition of Mindfulness
- Types of “mindfulness” exercises vs. types of meditation practices
- Other mindfulness-based self-care strategies – visualization, breathing techniques, gratitude journal, writing, tapping, etc.
- The overlaps between mindfulness strategies, and mental health and brain “retraining” therapies
- Alternative & Complementary Therapies
- Lifestyle “medicine” – Nutrition & Mindful Movement for Daily Life
- The importance of establishing a consistent self-directed movement and mindfulness program at home
- Meditation vs. mindfulness? Is there a difference? How to find what works best for you.
- Simple mindfulness and restorative exercises to relieve stress, promote daily self-care and foster a wellness mindset