Thursdays at The Mindfulness Center in Bethesda, MD from 12 pm-2 pm!
About our program:
This weekly movement and mindfulness-based program and support group is the extension of the four classes that we held in November 2016. Welcome to all levels of yoga practice and degrees of mobility. Our class/support group will meet 2 hrs 1x a week (schedule permitting). Yoga practices will focus on various types of yoga, and include restorative exercise and natural movement principles. We will also discuss physical therapy, other main stream types of exercise and ways to workout, continue a physical therapy program and move more at home and throughout our daily life – even for “Just 5 Minutes” a day.
Examples of program topics covered and types of yoga practices that we will enjoy, in addition to our support group discussions and regular practice:
– Intro to basic principles of mindfulness, yoga, and biology of hypermobility, including a short chair yoga demo.
– “Practicing Yoga safely with Hypermobility” – Instruction on positions and modifications with hypermobility with gentle flow yoga practice.
– Discuss Dr. Francomano’s study on mindfulness for hypermobility at NIH and John Kabat-Zinn’s mindfulness program, including meditation/restorative yoga practice.
– “Vinyasa Flow for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain” – A quicker paced, yet restorative practice. We will be moving for a full 60 mins.
All levels welcome.
Additionally, this program and our series of 4 classes in November, serve as the foundation for our online Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain program — which we will continue to develop while holding our weekly support group. The online Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain program is a collaboration between EDS Wellness, Dr. Clair Francomano and Dr. Deborah Norris of The Mindfulness Center.
Our plan is to launch our online program, along with a community support page, sometime in late spring/early summer 2017. A research publication will follow, summarizing the findings of our research and program.
To register for our Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain Program and Support Group on Thursday’s from 12 pm-2pm at The Mindfulness Center, please go to Register for EDS Wellness’ Mind-Body Class and Support Group.
Class/Support Group Overview:
– Welcome to all levels of yoga practice and degrees of mobility.
– 2 hrs 1x a week (schedule permitting)
– Weekend workshops will be offered when possible for those who cannot attend weekly sessions.
– Not meant to replace other support group meetings. We are not here to compete or take-away the work and support provided by others in our community. We are here to work together to provide options, specifically those focused on movement, mindfulness and lifestyle-focused strategies and integrative therapies for the management of chronic pain and other ailments related to hypermobility syndromes such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and its comorbidities.
– Yoga practices will focus on various types of yoga and include restorative exercise and natural movement principles. We will also discuss physical therapy, other main stream types of exercise and ways to workout, continue a physical therapy program and move more at home and throughout our daily life – even for “Just 5 Minutes” a day.
– Start with Introductions, a quick overview of goals for the class, info on the type of practice that week, questions, concerns, etc.
– Practice and Meditation – we will move each class. Some days more than other days, but we will move each class. Approx. time for practice and meditation = 1hr each class. Possibly broken up into beginning and end of class (wrap-up & close)
– Support group discussion – focus on a particular topic each week
– Close and wrap-up with breathing and mindfulness exercise to end on a calm, positive vibe.
Kendra Neilsen Myles, C.H.E.S
Executive Director & Founder
EDS Wellness, Inc.
EDS Wellness is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization promoting health education, integrative healthcare, and wellness strategies for living well with hypermobility syndromes, such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), and related conditions through the publishing of print and digital media resources and materials, including seminars, webinars, conferences, wellness coaching and patient advocacy.
EDS Wellness provides education on various movement, nutrition, and mind-body techniques by collaborating with healthcare practitioners and like-minded organizations, to improve the quality of life and overall well-being of individuals living with EDS and other chronic, often invisible illnesses.