Join Us Thursdays at The Mindfulness Center in Bethesda, MD!
Time: 1:30pm-3:30pm (please note time change!)
About our program:
This weekly movement and mindfulness-based program and support group is the extension of the four classes that we held in November 2016. Additionally, this program and our series of 4 classes in November, serve as the foundation for our online Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain program — which we will continue to develop while holding our weekly support group.
Our Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain classes on Thursday afternoons are held at The Mindfulness Center in Bethesda, MD.
Both our local and online Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain programs are a collaboration between EDS Wellness, Dr. Clair Francomano and Dr. Deborah Norris of The Mindfulness Center. We will use the feedback that we receive from our weekly program, along with research that’s been conducted, and develop a program plan that will allow us to record the content for the online program (weekly classes/meetings will not be part of the content that is recorded).
Our plan is to launch the online program, along with a community support page, sometime in late spring/early summer 2017. A research publication will follow, summarizing the findings of our research and program.
To view or print the program PDF, please go to Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain Support Group and Class Overview. You may also be interested in viewing our Integrative Healing for EDS Brochure that compliments this program.
Class/Support Group Overview:
- Welcome to all levels of yoga practice and degrees of mobility.
- 2 hrs 1x a week (schedule permitting)
- Weekend workshops will be offered when possible for those who cannot attend weekly sessions.
- Not meant to replace other support group meetings. We are not here to compete or take away the work and support provided by others in our community. We are here to work together to provide options, specifically those focused on movement, mindfulness and lifestyle-focused strategies and integrative therapies for the management of chronic pain and other ailments related to hypermobility syndromes such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and its comorbidities.
- Yoga practices will focus on various types of yoga and include therapeutic exercise and natural movement principles. We will also discuss physical therapy, other mainstream types of exercise and ways to workout, continue a physical therapy program and move more at home and throughout our daily life – even for “Just 5 Minutes” a day.
- Start with Introductions, a quick overview of goals for the class, info on the type of practice that week, questions, concerns, etc.
- Practice and Meditation – we will move each class. Some days more than other days, but we will move each class. Approx. Time for practice and meditation = 1 hr each class. Possibly broken up into beginning and end of class (wrap-up & close)
- Support group discussion – focus on a particular topic each week
- Close and wrap-up with breathing and mindfulness exercise to end on a calm, positive vibe.
- Facebook group to continue the dialogue, asks questions, share information and resources, and help provide continued support and momentum when not in class.
Examples of program topics covered and types of yoga practices that we will enjoy, in addition to our support group discussions and regular practice:
- Intro to basic principles of mindfulness, yoga, and biology of hypermobility, including a short chair yoga demo.
- “Practicing Yoga safely with Hypermobility” – Instruction on positions and modifications with hypermobility with gentle flow yoga practice.
- Discuss Dr. Francomano’s study on mindfulness for hypermobility at NIH and John Kabat-Zinn’s mindfulness program, including meditation/restorative yoga practice.
- “Vinyasa Flow for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain” – A quicker paced, yet restorative practice. We will be moving for a full 60 mins. All levels welcome.
To register for our Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain Program and Support Group on Thursday’s from 12 pm – 2 pm at The Mindfulness Center, please go to Register for EDS Wellness’ Mind-Body Class and Support Group.
To view or print the program PDF, please go to Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility with Chronic Pain Support Group and Class Overview
A few other key announcements about our programs – both virtually and in-person:
- Virtual attendance for our Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility and Chronic Pain Class and Support Group is a possibility. We are working on the details and will make an announcement when virtual attendance is possible.
- For those who are local and cannot attend our Mind-Body Support Group Program and Class on Thursdays from 12 pm-2 pm, we will be holding weekend workshops at The Mindfulness Center shortly. Our weekend workshops will be offered as time and space allow; however, when we can secure our first date, we make sure to post details. Weekend workshops will vary in topic and focus, but we will try to offer seminars and programs that meet the different needs of the members of our community.
- For those who attended our first series of 4 classes and have been waiting patiently for the post-yoga for hypermobility and chronic pain class email with various handouts and resources that we discussed, I will be emailing that out and also be uploading to the website soon. Thank you for being patient. To find the resources and information utilized and shared in our initial series of four classes, go to Follow-up From Our 4th Mind-Body Strategies for Hypermobility and Chronic Pain Class – Post-Class Information and Resources.
- To read more about our initial series of 4 classes, please go to – Our 4th MIND-BODY STRATEGIES FOR HYPERMOBILITY AND CHRONIC PAIN class is today – December 2nd!
- To book your spot during our next meeting/class, go to http://edswellness.wpengine.com/index.php/learn-with-eds-wellness/
- And … EDS Wellness has an App! – Go to https://appsto.re/us/N7zbfb.i to download the EDS Wellness app and to book your spot in 1 or all of our classes! The EDS Wellness App also allows you to make HelpLine appointments and more! (Also available on Google Play!)
- Questions? email@example.com
To donate to help support this program or other programs and research efforts that EDS Wellness is working on, go to Donations.