April 28th – 30th, 2017
The coolest integrative health and wellness conferences (& retreats!) ever!
Join us for this educational, life-changing and restorative Integrative Health and Wellness Retreat at an amazing location!
Dates: April 28th – 30th, 2017
Venue: The Salamander Resort in Middleburg, VA
Wellapalooza is a retreat, a wellness weekend, a short wellness and education-focused getaway at a place that you would be interested in going to no matter who’s speaking or the severity of your illness.
Wellapalooza believes in integrative healthcare, utilizing the benefits of Western medicine, with the natural approaches to Eastern medicine and other alternative therapies in managing chronic conditions.
We are MORE than a typical health conference.
What is Wellapalooza?
Wellapalooza integrative health & wellness conferences (& retreats!) believe in bringing education, “how to” help and fun to the people who need it the most.
We provide you with informative, reputable and updated information on how to manage chronic conditions from community thought leaders, as well as instruction on how to approach various alternative therapies while focusing on what we can do versus what we can’t
We bring physicians, therapists, healers, body workers, nutritionist, wellness practitioners, and exercise moderators together for YOU all in one place.
Wellapalooza offers workshops, active seminars (you will not just sit there), interesting presentations and various additional activities to enjoy on your own while attending a conference.
Wellapalooza is the ticket to laying a firm foundation for your body’s journey to greater overall health and wellness.
THIS is how Wellapalooza is different – Integrative. Mind/Body focused. Fun.
Our integrative wellness retreats are purposely smaller than traditional conferences to allow a more intimate and relaxed atmosphere. We also like to spend time with our friends and enjoy the retreat with you.
Speakers’ presentations, conference workshops, and content is based on the most updated research and treatment guidelines surrounding the chronic conditions, so many of us have. Content involves up-to-date diagnostic criteria and evidence-based integrative strategies, ensuring the highest possible standard of care for patients with chronic pain and multisystemic chronic illnesses. And we build in downtime and structure the retreat schedule to include optional mind-body classes, time to enjoy amenities, and ability to have smaller group discussions with our speakers.
Conditions of focus? ALL! Your body isn’t segregated by each chronic illness you have, so why would we be any different?
Instead, we focus on underlying links and similarities, while appreciating how each and every one of us presents differently. We learn the how’s concerning overlapping symptoms and the why’s various chronic conditions are comorbid to each other.
And …we focus on moving more, and moving better, even if it’s #Just5Minutes a day.
Wellapalooza 2017 Retreat Schedule:
(Preliminary schedule only. 2 retreat “tracks” possible, depending on the number of attendees and speaker availability. The preliminary schedule does not inlcude teens/young adult retreat program, all group activites and workshops, or vendor/sponsor information.)
Friday, April 28th, 2017 – The Salamander Resort (optional 3rd day)
Small group workshop – Max 20-25 people (will add an additional workshop, if needed). Active cooking demonstrations. Yasmina will cover simple changes we can make to our diets to improve overall health. All participants must bring a 2-week food log. (snacks provided)
Saturday, April 29th, 2017 – The Salamander Resort
Partial movement-focused workshop – participation is optional. Movement is focused on the principles of Natural Movement/Restorative Exercise. All mobility levels welcome!
(snacks provided. Alternate option for Biomechanics & Restorative Exercise workshop and assessment with personal at-home-“Just 5 Minutes” plan for those who attended Yasmina’s workshop on Friday)
Sunday, April 30th, 2017 – The Salamander Resort
Open Discussion about Chronic Pelvic Pain Conditions associated with hypermobility syndromes, such as EDS, Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and Dysautonomia/POTS — including Practical Physical Therapy/Restorative Exercise Workshop focusing on ways we can help manage chronic pelvic pain
(Focus on “When is too much medicalization too much?” dealing with drug sensitivities and minimizing reactions)
Retreat Speakers and Workshop Leaders:
Details will be announced soon, and a final list of speakers and workshops will be provided Jan/Feb 2017.
About The Salamander Resort:
“Set on 340 acres nestled into the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains amid Virginia’s famed horse and lush wine country…
Resort Founder and CEO, Sheila C. Johnson, has created this opulent and homelike destination. Designed to respect the architectural traditions of Virginia’s countryside, Salamander Resort & Spa features luxurious guestrooms and spacious suites, a luxury spa, full-service equestrian center, Virginia Piedmont-inspired dining, a multi-experience cooking studio, well-appointed wine bar, jovial billiards room, sophisticated library, exhilarating zip lining course, abundant amount of outdoor activities, and a unique array of conference and banquet facilities.
• Historic town of Middleburg
• Less than one hour from Washington, D.C.
• 30 minutes from Washington Dulles International Airport
Rooms & Suites
• 168 guestrooms
• 17 suites; Owner’s Suite offers 1,680-square-feet of living space
• All suites and select guestrooms feature fireplaces
• Private balcony for each room
• Farm-to-table Virginia Piedmont cuisine at Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill
• Sophisticated lounge with extensive wine list & cocktails at Gold Cup Wine Bar
• Multi-experience Cooking Studio
• 24-hour in-room dining available
• 14 treatment rooms including once couple’s suite and a rasul
• Full-service salon
• Fitness Center with indoor pool
• Private outdoor heated pool with sauna and cabanas
• World-class 14,000-square-foot stable featuring 22 stalls
• Nine beautiful paddocks
• 25 on-site acres dedicated to equestrian experiences
• Gentle ponies for beginners and children rides and lessons
• Outdoor resort pool with loungers and café
• Five different zip lines and two suspension sky bridges
• Nature-based activities including hiking and biking trails
• Golf privileges at Creighton Farms, a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course
Meetings & Events
• Luxurious 4,500-square-foot-divisible Middleburg Ballroom
• Over 6,800-square-feet of indoor meeting and event space
• Unique outdoor function spaces including the Grand Lawn, Culinary Garden and a restored 100-year-old Stallion Barn”
“Just got back from my trip east, and wanted to thank you for putting on a wonderful conference. I think that your work is invaluable, and I am grateful I was able to participate.
I was thrilled to hear Dr. Afrin speak and to participate in the two Q & A sessions. What an astounding opportunity. Each of the speakers provided excellent information and useful strategies, and I learned a great deal from each of them. I learned a great deal from the other participants as well. I appreciated the time we had to talk in very relaxed environments.
I also liked that we were encouraged to move, within our limits, and to have fun! One of my favourite parts was listening to Dr. Norris – and joining in the restorative yoga. She is a great instructor! Were it not for my being a bit extra tired from the journey, I absolutely would have tried more of the sessions offered each day. Next time 🙂 [I have already looked into a restorative yoga class not far from my home.
I hope you have had a chance to recover! It was an incredible undertaking. Thank you again for taking it on.”
Why should you come?
- Wellapalooza is structured as a not-so-fast-paced, or slammed with presentations all day long, like many other conferences.
- You will not “just sit there” in a conference room all day.
- Wellapalooza is meant to not only provide updated information on various conditions that are comorbid to each other but also provide information on integrative therapies and the environment to safely and comfortably try them.
- Wellapalooza is about a cultivating a positive, healthy vibe – the #WellaVibe
- Wellapalooza provides a comfortable space to be vulnerable and open-minded.
- EDS Wellness’ education and integrative wellness-focused workshops and retreats, provide a bridge between patients and healthcare providers.
- Wellapalooza retreats open-up dialogue to help find paths for understanding and empower each attendee to find strength and belief in their ability to embrace wellness.
- Wellapalooza facilitates an environment of learning, growing and soul healing.
- You can come alone, enjoy a weekend with your friends or bring your family.
Examples of conditions that will be discussed (List is not complete and is subject to change, but we prefer to not focus on labels.):
- Chronic Fatigue
- Mast Cell Disease
- Autoimmune Disease
- Multisystemic Disease
- Hypermobility Syndromes
- Hypothyroidism and other Endocrine Disorders
Our 2017 Integrative Wellness Retreat is capped at 50 people.
Please make sure to register early to ensure your spot!
Teens and Young Adults Program:
When a child (or even an adult) is diagnosed with a chronic medical condition, learning to live with and manage life after diagnosis often becomes a family affair. And it has to be. Research has proven that families who support a loved one by approaching the life-altering aspects of learning to manage life with a chronic medical condition as a unit, versus solely the responsibility of the family member diagnosed, have the most success in managing his/her condition long-term.
Team EDS Wellness feels strongly that learning to live well and thrive with a chronic illness(es) should include all members of the family, which is why we wanted to ensure that we offered an option for the younger members of our community to join our incredibly informative, fun and healing retreat!
We are still working out the retreat schedule; however, we wanted to post registration and information about the teens and young adults program retreat program ASAP — especially before the early registration deadline!
Teens and young adult retreat program details thus far:
– Registration includes two-day conference attendance, conference materials, entrance to the welcome reception, entrance to the Wella Dance Party and Dinner on Saturday night, access to all presentations and private activities that are a part of the teens and young adult retreat program and the Wellapalooza 2017 adult retreat program, and ability to use resort amenities (i.e., fitness center, pool, etc.).
– Program is best for ages 13yo – young adult, but we understand that some of our pre-teen kids could benefit from our Wellapalooza 2017 retreat, and would enjoy it too! We trust your judgment as parents in deciding if the teens and young adult program is appropriate for your pre-teen.
– Childcare for younger children is not provided, but The Salamander Resort may have childcare or babysitting services for additional fees, in addition to the various resort activities they offer. Resort sponsored extracurricular activities, and spa appointments are additional and are the responsibility of each attendee. Please contact The Salamander Resort directly to make an appointment, or to inquire about childcare or babysitting options and resort activities.
– Program will focus on many of the same topics and workshops as the adult program but offer a specific focus and atmosphere that caters to the needs of the younger members of our community.
– Program will provide an intimate support-group setting that fosters a comfortable, non-judgemental and healing environment – one that opens the doors for learning, proactive discussions on ways to live well while living with a chronic condition(s), and personal growth.
– There’s no “just sitting there” – Wellapalooza provides a safe environment to discuss and even try various integrative strategies to help improve strength, endurance, and chronic pain.
– Previous attendees have stated that Wellapalooza served as the starting point for building a solid foundation for to learn their “best recipe” for living well and thriving, despite living with a chronic medical condition(s).
– Most importantly, Wellapalooza provides a change of pace, a different type of medical conference, and is an incredibly healing getaway – even if you do nothing else but come to relax and enjoy a beautiful five-star resort. There isn’t one person in our community who couldn’t benefit from a slower-paced, uplifting and rejuvenating getaway in a beautiful setting. That’s what we call the #WellaVibe.
Accommodations: The Salamander Resort
EDS Wellness has reserved a limited number of rooms at a discounted rate of $465 per night + tax and fees. Nightly accommodations are additional to the cost of conference registration. Rooms will fit 1-4 people. If you would like to reserve a room under the conference room block, please call The Salamander Resort directly at 1-844-303-2723.
Splitting the costs of a room helps decrease room costs per night and it’s a great way to spend time with friends and family. We are also happy to help match people who are willing to share rooms. The Salamander Resort is perfect for a family, a nice weekend away with your partner, yourself, or with friends.
If we need additional rooms, the Salamander Resort & Spa said that they will help us add additional rooms to our room block.
Staying at The Salamander is not required to attend Wellapalooza 2017. We kept conference registration separate from room costs to allow as much flexibility and options for attendees possible.
To learn more about The Salamander Resort, or to read about its activities, please visit http://www.salamanderresort.com/overview/fact-sheet
You can also click on the links below:
Example of Group Recreation Activities
Additional Information on Group Activities
Example Salamander Resort Activity Guide
Or, visit www.salamanderresort.com
Retreat Pricing and Registration Deadlines:
– Early Registration $485 for 2-Day Registration ($565 for 3-Day Registration) – Must register by January 15th, 2017
– Regular Registration $585 for 2-Day Registration ($665 for 3-Day Registration) – Must register by February 15th, 2017
– Late Registration $685 for 2-Day Registration ($765 for 3-Day Registration) – Must register by March 28, 2017
– Teens and Young Adults Retreat Registration is below
The cost of registration includes two-day conference attendance (three-day attendance is also an option), conference materials, a welcome reception, Wella Dance Party and Dinner on Saturday night, access to all presentations and private activities, and ability to use resort amenities (i.e., fitness center, pool, etc.). Resort sponsored extracurricular activities, and spa appointments are additional and are the responsibility of each attendee. Please contact The Salamander Resort directly to make an appointment, or to inquire about resort activities.
***All meals are not included, other than dinner at our dance party Saturday night, food served at our welcome reception, and light snacks, and drinks, or food that is part of a seminar, a presentation, or a book signing event. The reason is that it helps keep costs down. It’s also nearly impossible to provide food that is safe and acceptable to everyone in our very sensitive community.***
Teens and Young Adults Program:
***Registration fee with paying adult is $200 of the cost of adult registration; however, fees do go up as the event gets closer! Registration costs are stated below. Please pay attention to registration deadlines. If interested in a 3-day retreat registration for a teenager or young adult, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Teen and Young Adult Program is for children from 13 years old to young adults 21 years old.***
– Early Registration $285 for 2-Day Registration ($200 off with paying adult) – Must register by January 15th, 2017
– Regular Registration $485 for 2-Day Registration ($100 off with paying adult) – Must register by February 15th, 2017
– Late Registration $685 for 2-Day Registration ($0 off with paying adult) – Must register by March 28, 2017
[Additional 2017 Retreat Details:
For other accommodation-related questions, please email email@example.com.
Airports – The closest airport is Dulles International Airport (IAD). Ronald Reagan International Airport (DCA) is the next closest airport.
Virtual Attendance and Conference Recordings:
Virtual Attendance is not offered at this time; however, we are looking into possible options. Details and information will be shared once available.
Video recording and post-production provided by Lucky Dog Films.
We have room for 6 vendors/sponsors/Wella partners. Wellapalooza 2017 will be an incredible opportunity to network and discuss collaborative projects. However, because we have limited availability to host vendors/sponsors/partners, we will have specific donation options for those who would like to participate.
To learn more, please www.wellapalooza.com/wella-partners/. Or, please visit can also visit https://edswellness.org/index.php/sponsors-vendors-partners/
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Refunds will be provided if cancellation is received at least two weeks prior to the date of the conference. If cancellations are made within the 14 days before the conference, refunds cannot be provided. No exceptions. We recommend purchasing trip insurance, if necessary.
If you have questions or need more information, please send an email to email@example.com.
Or, use the contact form below!
About EDS Wellness:
EDS Wellness, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization promoting health education, integrative healthcare, and wellness strategies for living well hypermobility syndromes, such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), other connective tissue diseases, and related comorbidities, through print and digital media resources and materials, seminars, webinars, conferences, health coaching, and patient advocacy.
EDS Wellness provides education on various movement, nutrition, and mind-body therapies by collaborating with healthcare practitioners and like-minded organizations, to improve the quality of life and overall well-being of individuals living with chronic, complex, and multisystemic illnesses.
EDS Wellness collaborates with other organizations and healthcare practitioners on various projects associated with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) and its related conditions, to provide information and resources for those living with EDS and the medical professionals who care for them. EDS Wellness focuses on helping patients live well while living with EDS and its comorbid health conditions.
If you would like to provide a tax-deductible donation to help support this ground-breaking and life-changing wellness conference, please go to https://www.paypal.me/EDSWellness
EDS Wellness App: